So you’ve seen on Amazon that the Louisville Slugger Pitching Machine is one of the best selling pitching machines but unsure about its quality and reliability? You’re desperate for a ball pitching machine, but don’t want to pay a ridiculous amount of money? You’ve searched far and wide but unsure about which machine to buy? We take an in-depth look into the Louisville Slugger Pitching Machine and review all the ups and downs about this product.
We should probably first mention that it is a completely mechanical pitching machine, using springs, a foot press and lever to work. It is required that a coach loads a single ball every time, resetting the machine before every throw.
No batteries, generators or powered required for this – which makes it very appealing for carting around for training.
In its full name, the Louisville Slugger UPM 45 Blue Flame Pitching Machine stands just over 2.5 feet. What makes it so great is how light it is – allowing for easy transport and portability. Whilst an extremely sturdy pitching machine, the whole apparatus weighs just under 25 pounds.
So what can it do?
The Louisville Slugger Pitching Machine pretty much throws any type of ball – baseballs, softballs, dimple balls, soccer balls, volley balls, cricket balls – you name it.
And it can throw it at speed.
The pitching machine can be adjusted to throw hardballs between speeds of 18 – 45 miles per hour, and plastic light balls up to 60 miles per hour. This is determined by your adjustment of the spring lever.
Similar to the vast range of speeds it can pitch, the Louisville Slugger can throw accurate strikes, slow pitches with a 12-foot arch, fly balls and hard ground balls. This allows coaches to train batters, as well as both infield and outfield players. A great coaching aid.
Check out their promotional video outlining all the things the Louisville Slugger UPM 45 can do – whilst seeing it in action.
- Cheap, durable, portable, lightweight…. and cheap
- One of the best selling pitching machines on Amazon – you can be assured that replacement parts and warranty will always be there
- It doesn’t rip or tear softballs and baseballs
- Great to teach younger players about their strike zone, it’s better than a practicing on a batting tee
- The large range of speeds and heights that a ball can be thrown allows for versatile training programs
- Someone needs to mechanically set it up after every pitch
- Is probably only a good tool for beginner/intermediate players
- The pitches can be inconsistent if you’re not quite sure how to work the machine
If you’re serious about getting a pitching machine, but don’t want to break the bank, you can’t go past the Louisville Slugger Pitching Machine. Based on the price, and what it offers, you really can’t go wrong here.
However, we do need to mention again – this pitching machine is best for youth and intermediate players as a training aid. It shouldn’t be used to games, nor for experienced players.
Nonetheless, there are countless reviews on Amazon stating that they had wish they had bought the Louisville Slugger Pitching Machine earlier!