In this article, we search for the best disc golf discs for beginners. It is important to keep in mind that with disc golf, there are no particular discs that are designed specifically for beginner training. Similarly, there’s no such thing as a “get good fast at disc golf” magical formula.
However, it is extremely important to get a number of suitable discs at early stages of practice to learn good habits to further build upon.
The best advice we can give is… DO NOT start with a high speed driver. It is important to learn and develop a feel for throwing discs – practice your putting, and practice throwing straight.
Throwing a high speed disc won’t win you popularity as a beginner. Getting to the basket with the lowest amount of throws will.
How many discs do I need to start with?
Ideally, people who are just starting out with disc golf should make the effort to buy at least 3 discs. There’s no single best disc golf discs for beginners – all discs do different things!
What you’re looking for as a beginner – A fairway driver, a stable mid-range disc, and a reliable putter. Familiarise yourselves with these discs – learn how they fly, learn how the disc golf fields work.
If you need more information, check out our comprehensive guide to disc golf !
Our Recommended Starting Driver
The Innova DX Leopard Golf Disc is a fantastic beginners disc that all budding disc golf players should have in their bag. This disc is perfect for all skill levels, including kids – aiming to get more distance without excessive muscle. Most importantly, it is an extremely reliable and dependable disc that will hold a fairly straight line during practice. The perfect first fairway driver for beginners.
Keep one in your bag, and beat the other one up. This is a must have – and a number of players say it is their most dependable disc!
The tip with any fairway driver for beginners – make sure it’s understable. Stable discs handle well in the wind but will tend to fade quicker. For weakens arms, people with bad technique, or beginners – they won’t go as far.
Understable discs don’t require that much power, and most importantly, is much more likely to stay straight – allowing a beginner disc golf player to practice their technique! Just check the stability rating on the disc.
- Buying the 145-150 gram disc is ideal for beginners
- 165 gram + for experienced players
- Best used for long straight drives
- Initially leans right before fading left
Alternative Beginner Fairway Driver Options
- Provides very accurate fairway drives – and has fantastic distance
- 170-172g recommended for beginners
- Comfortable rim and controllable – a fantastic beginners disc golf disc
- Very difficult to control, but has a balanced Stability and Fade rating
- 165-172g recommended for beginners
- Not an ideal beginners disc – but can been used to practice with
Our Recommended Mid-Range Disc
If you want the best disc golf discs for beginners, but also something that will be reused consistently for years on end, then the Discraft Buzzz Elite Z Golf Disc is the perfect option. Similar to the Innova Leopard, the Discraft Buzzz is perfect for all skill levels, holding an unbelievably straight line and great for accuracy in all conditions. Being a mid-range driver, it’s accuracy allows for versatility in both mid and short range throws.
This is the most controllable disc for any beginner to learn and practice their technique – and can also be used by experienced players who want that accuracy that the Buzzz provides.
- If you’re a beginner, 167-169 grams is an ideal weight to start
- Extremely stable disc – stability level of 0.5
- Flies excellently through cross winds
- Designed to suit all skill levels
Other Mid Range Driver Options
- Most used professional mid range disc
- Excellent disc golf disc for beginners due to its high stability
- 165-169 grams the most ideal weight to start with
- Consistent and predictable – a fantastic alternative
Our Recommended Putter Disc
An elite putter golf discs used by professionals alike, the Innova DX Aviar Putt and Approach provides the straightest possible low speed flight – which is exactly what you want in a putter.
Probably the most essential part of completing any disc golf hole – this is the best disc golf disc for beginners wanting to practice their putting. You can’t finish a hole unless your disc ends up in the basket!
Get it nice and heavy to ensure stability throughout the air, a great gripping disc – it is a serious putter that will last for years on end
- Straight flyer – predictable finish
- Perfect to practice on a disc golf basket to really master your final touches
- 173-175 grams recommended for beginners
- Designed to suit all skill levels
Other Beginner Putter Options
- Not Innova or Discraft – but provides excellent control and feel for a putter
- Extremely accurate and consistent
- 173-175 grams recommended
- One of the most purchased putters available on the market
- Great stability for a putter – excellent in windy conditions
- A commonly Discraft putter
- 173-174 grams recommended for beginners
- If price isn’t a concern, this is one of the best disc golf discs for beginners to learn putting
Still Can’t Decide?
Just want to buy a full pack with everything you need? Why not get an Innova beginner disc golf set. You can choose whether you want to grab a bag with it or not. The 3 Disc Set is essential for any serious disc golf players who want to truly master their skills in long and mid range driving, as well as putting. This particular set comes with the TeeBird (fairway driver), Roc (mid-range driver), and Rhyno (putter) discs which all suit all skill levels.
These particular sets are designed especially for beginner disc golf players, coming with each of the best disc golf discs for beginners – and because you buy in bulk, they’re priced at an extremely affordable point. All sets come with a disc golf mini marker, and can be upgraded to include a disc golf bag as well.
- If you’re an indecisive beginner, grabbing a set is ideal
- Use the marker! It’s there for a reason
- Works out cheaper than buying discs individually
- If you’re serious about getting better, practice with each disc equally
In the hunt for the best disc golf discs for beginners, it was important that we avoided all long distance, high speed discs.
For more information about disc golf in general, you can check out our Guide to understanding Disc Golf article. Click the link to check out our recommendations for disc golf baskets, disc golf bags, as well as further information about disc golf discs!